Thursday, June 17, 2010

FAVOR ~ LIKE SEEING THE FACE OF GOD



“If I (Jacob) have found FAVOR in your (Esau) eyes, accept this gift from me. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably.” Genesis 33:10


Jacob was saying… You, brother have been like God to me! You’ve shown unlimited KINDNESS~FAVOR towards me; one who doesn’t deserve it. I did nothing to earn it.


If you read last weeks’ blog, you’ll understand why Jacob didn’t feel worthy of Esau’s favor toward him. The past twenty years Jacob had been working for his Uncle Laban ~ fourteen of those years to receive Rachel (Genesis 31:41), the woman he loved and longed to marry. May I say - no favor there. Laban represents the world which is a hard task master. But, in this passage, Esau is a type of Christ. Jacob’s gifts (things he’d earned) were meaningless to Esau. Just as Esau had no need for Jacob’s gifts, neither does our Father in heaven. We cannot earn His favor - it is free as I said last week. Favor is unmerited; meaning there is nothing we can do to deserve it. We are a gift to Jesus that He desires to fill with Himself.


Jacob was saying to Esau, it's like I've seen God's face the way you've treated me with such kindness. FAVOR is like seeing God’s face! What a beautiful thought. We can actually see Christ in one another when someone extends FAVOR to us or when we extend FAVOR to another.


The Apostle Paul said that we, with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory….(2 Cor.3:18). Just as Esau was like the face of God to Jacob ~ we can see the face or be the face of God to others when we extend God's kindness.


You will notice the picture of the beautiful child above. This happens to be my precious little niece, Mia. We've all heard it said, when you see the face of a child, you've seen God. There's a lot of truth to that so I couldn't resist posting this pose of her. I just want to end this teaching by saying.......


We've all seen God's face as we've experienced God's FAVOR, whether we realize it or not. He touches each of our lives in so many different ways. I pray you encounter Him today and tomorrow and forever!

2 comments:

  1. Looking for Jesus in everyday is something I have been trying to do for a long time. It helps me to pay attention and realize God's glory. When I see Jesus through someone else, I feel as though I have received communion and I love that connection. People think that God doesn't speak to them. God does, in every thing, big and little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soo right Joanne. May we all pay attention more in our daily routines. We should live w/more expectation every day, but I must admit I need reminded every now and then. Ariel told me one time... "Mama, if you want to see angels, you should expect to see angels...." Hmmmmm a little child will lead them.... Thx again for reading Joanne. xo

    ReplyDelete