Friday, March 19, 2010

UNDER GRACE......


“For sin shall not be your master,
because you are not under law, but under Grace.” Romans 6:14


When I was a child, I can remember times when my parents would say…. “now don’t touch that,” or “whatever you do, don’t do that.” The first thing I wanted to do was the very thing I was told NOT TO DO. Was I just a curious child or is there something more we need to see here?

The Apostle Paul said that when you’re under LAW, you’re mastered by sin. This means that when you’re given a list of do’s and don’ts without love’s influence, one can easily lean into rebellion because the thing you are focusing on is the law and not Grace. According to the NIV Commentary, the law will never be able to help you overcome your sin nor will it justify your actions.

When we begin to understand the love that our Father has for us and we respond to His love, we no longer desire to go against Him by doing things that would displease Him. When you are settled in the love of the Father, you will desire only what your Father desires. You’re not thinking --- oh I can’t do that because it’s a law I have to obey.

Sin no longer is your master. God is. Having God’s GRACE, which is His divine influence upon our heart reflected in our life causes us to rest in His love for us. We no longer have to do things to make God love us or refrain from doing things to make Him love us more.

Living under GRACE does NOT mean we won’t ever sin, but it does mean that when we do sin, we are focused not on trying harder next time, but thanking God for forgiving us and cleansing us and embracing us in our weakness.

Thank you Lord for your GRACE that removes sin as my master.

No comments:

Post a Comment