Saturday, April 17, 2010

OH HOW HE LOVES US!

Good Friday, the day Jesus died for mankind was such a memorable day for me unlike any other in the past. Why? Well, my friend, Marianne and her son Simon were visiting and with our family we embarked upon a Geocashing adventure. Geocaching is a project organized by Groundspeak, which is an outdoor activity in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world.


The adventure we expected was not what we experienced. We drove out a local road, took a left, another left, and before you know it we were out in the middle of seemingly "nowhere." I remember asking Marianne... how much gas you got in your tank? We drove on what appeared to be worse than cow paths, yet we continued towards our treasure. Travis, my 16 year old son was driving ahead of us with his daddy and with ever such caution we finally reached the top of a hill where we pulled to the side of the road. Now, it started to get interesting. We all got out of our vehicles, ready for the trek into the woods to find this prize awaiting us somewhere "up there...."


My husband Chuck had our GPS in hand so we all kind of lined up behind him. None of us were dressed appropriately as we soon found out there were more briers then we'd ever seen in a lifetime awaiting us. We went from the beautiful meadow to an abandoned road with debris to an upward climb toward the cache. About half way up what seemed like a mountain, we all began to spread out. Some were way ahead while others were beginning to struggle and straggle. I found an old stick which became my walking partner. I felt like Moses as we trekked along.


Chuck cautioned us all not to touch this fuzzy stuff on the trees as it was poisonous, most likely oak. So, we moved along until we encountered nothing but a brier "patch." I looked for ways to go around it, but there were none. So, being about the fourth in line, I dove into it when I let out a few screams .... the thorns had found my legs and arms. Blood began to ooze out of me. I grew fearful and felt such pain that I turned back. Our little dog Kirby was also with us and I immediately used my dog as my reasoning for staying behind. After all, what if Kirby got a thorn in him. Chuck reminded me that he was a hunting dog and he'd probably be fine, but I knew better.


There we were, me, my daughter and our friend Simon. We all were waiting below the brier patch. All of us had tried it and turned back and opted to wait. Chuck, Travis and then Marianne were blazing through it all and getting closer to the treasure. We could hear them above us...yelling out....... 200 feet and we're there... 100 feet...


To my amazement.... Ariel said with a chuckle ... "Take cover... I'm going in..." And, off she went up the hill towards the rest. Simon and I could hear the anticipation among those who had gone on. I wanted to go, but held off. Then something was said that stirred my young friend Simon and all of a sudden he was like a rocket going through that brier patch with ease. Then I heard the guys.... "oh my, I think we found it.... WE SEE IT!


Well, something stirred in me.... There actually was a prize. It was real - not a joke.... I began to move towards the brier patch and something in me would not turn back again.... The pain... yeah it was hurting because I felt the briers all over my legs, but I kept moving. I didn't stop. I was right behind Simon and when I looked down, there was Kirby. It was like he was saying... I've got your back.. let's go. After we got through those briers.. we began to attack that hill with a strength we hadn't had before. I couldn't believe we were doing this.


Finally, we had reached the top. After catching our breath, Chuck said... ok... now you all have to find it. And one by one.... WE FOUND THE PRIZE! There it was waiting for us! Simon opened the prized box and within it was a steno pad for us to write upon if we wished, first aid, little trinkets, and a laminated note congratulating us for the find. Then the emotions began to come forth in us. Some of us cried (me) and others were elated that we did it giving hands up to one another, hugs and smiles of relief. Many of us spoke what we felt about the experience - others were silent. We took a few pictures and commended one another and began to go back the way we came.


I came to the realization that I had suffered today... though just a little and had nearly turned back - but Jesus had suffered A LOT AND CONTINUED TILL HE LAID DOWN HIS LIFE FOR ME! We were His joy set before Him. I saw at the top of this hill thorns that could have been similar to the ones they put in Jesus' head and I cried. I could hardly handle the sting of a few little thorns in my legs and arms, yet Jesus endured a crown upon his head with streams of blood going down his face. I couldn't even imagine the nails in his hands and his feet and the piercing of his side. No, I couldn't even imagine..... HE WOULD DO THIS FOR ME! I cannot tell you how this has touched me.


I didn't go somewhere to hear about what Jesus did for me, but I actually got to experience something that touched me even more. I realized that our life is this adventure or journey up the hill and sometimes there are no ways around the brier patch. We must trust the Lord as we go through every dark place in our life because we will go through them all to reach the PRIZE which is Jesus. He's worth the temporary pains of life. He's worth it all. I'm sooo glad I didn't stay behind as others went up the hilll to get the prize. I was thankful for the encouragement from others, symbolic of the Body of Christ in order that we could all seize the moment together. I felt a sense of accomplishment and was grateful to have had the opportunity to suffer .... even if it was just a little to be like Jesus.


From the words of David Crowder... We are His portion and He is our prize, Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes, If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking. So Heaven meets earth like an unforseen kiss, And my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, When I think about, the way........... He loves us, Oh how He loves us, Oh how He loves us, Oh how He loves......

No comments:

Post a Comment